D600 after a few weeks……..
I’ve now had the D600 for long enough to really get to know it and I have some additional observations. I will cut right to the chase, I think the D600 represents the best value in DSLR on the market today! Here’s why;
2. The D600 represents a significant bargain, especially when you consider just three years ago a D3x was $8,000. and the closest competitor from Canon with slightly less resolution is $3,500. The cost alone is pretty amazing, what’s even more amazing is that the D600 outperforms either of these cameras. It is much lower noise than the D3x and very close to the 5D Mark III. It is only 1/2 stop slower than the frame rate of the 5D Mark III, and it costs $1,400 less!!!!
3. With the exception of my favorite DX body the D7000 the D600 has the sweetest release and quietest shutter in the line up. It is a joy to shoot hand held and when you lock it on a tripod it uses the ML-L3 wireless remote, I truly love this combination.
4. The very vital aspect of ergonomics, this camera simply feels great in your hands. It has enough heft to feel substantial, but is light enough to be refreshing. I don’t think anyone should be concerned about the build quality!
5. After doing a number of HDR images by shooting three images 2 stops apart, I’m convinced, that unless you are an HDR master and shoot almost everything as an HDR, this camera will cover your bases just fine.
6. I can’t wait to get my hands on the very reasonably priced wireless transmitter, the WU-1b, I think it will be a hoot to shoot straight to the iPad!!! Add to that the App for you iPhone that allows you to operate the camera wirelessly! Wow, what fun!!!
7. I’m starting to really love SD cards, they are less expensive, are coming on very fast speeds, and it’s easy to carry a bunch of them! And the D600 works with dual SD slots.
8. But most important of all, this camera makes absolutely gorgeous images! It is so good it makes me wonder why I will keep the D800, of course I’ll kept a D800 as my 4X5 view camera!!!! But for everyday shooting this D600 has found an honored place in my camera bag!
You couldn’t spend $2,100. any better……
This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 at 11:07 pm
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.