Daily Archives: August 23, 2013
Photography is problem solving and sometimes we get fortunate and find just the right answer to our photographic problems, here are some of my favorites!
1. The Fuji X100s. I’ve looked for years for a camera that was easy to carry, really well made, and produced stunning images. I’ve used a lot of cameras that I really liked, but they all were lacking one thing or another. The other problem was even the very best ones just didn’t allow me to shoot higher than ISO 800 without pretty bad noises. Then I discovered the Fuji X system and the X100s. It has become my constant companion, my carry everywhere, shoot anything camera, and the images? Stunning +++ It has also re-ignited my love for Black and White, which it does wonderfully! I got mine at Dury’s Camera in Nashville, I enhanced it with a Wapiti Elk skin strap, a Really Right Stuff L bracket and grip, (all my cameras have their excellent L brackets), and a Lensmate Thumb rest, and a Lensmate bayonet lens hood. http://www.durys.com/ http://www.wapitistraps.com/ http://reallyrightstuff.com/Index.aspx?code=46&key=fr http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/fujifilm_x100s_thumbrest_silver.php
2. The Sennheiser MKE 400. I don’t shoot very much video, but whenI do this is the “steal” in the portable microphone world. At less than $300. it works very well. I got mine at the AV house called Sweetwater. http://www.sweetwater.com/
3. Singh Ray Filters. My bag has a dozen of these gems. Bob Singh is a true genius and his array of filters is amazing. His polarizers are among the only ones that are completely neutral, so they will not leave a color cast as many do! I have a great collection of his great creations http://singh-ray.com/polarizers.html
4. Delkin Memory Cards. I’ve used Delkin cards and their other products for years and I’ve never had a bad card! If you’ve used a bunch of brands like I have, you know just how astounding that is! They’re fast and reliable! I carry them in a shockproof, waterproof, Pelican case from B&H! http://delkin.com/ http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=828755&is=REG&A=details&Q=
5. Zeiss Lens Wipes. In the eyeglass department of Walmarts you will find one of the best solutions to cleaning eyepieces, LCD screens, and lenses. These wipes are sealed and have just the right amount of alcohol for a perfect clean! Not pictured bu a big part of my system are a handful of micro fiber cloths, Ilike the Tiger Cloth from Kinetronics! http://kinetronics.com/store/tiger.html
6. The Firefly blower, and Photographic Solutions cleaning supplies. The Firefly blower is a great way to clean dust from sensor, it turns normal air into ionized air that releases dust because of static electricity. I use the Photograp http://photosol.com/hic Solutions E Wipes, swabs, and E2 Sensor Cleaner. http://photosol.com/ http://www.nrdfirefly.com/
7. The Lightning Bug. The best lightning trigger on the market from MK Controls, it’s simple, it really works, and it’s your best bet of capturting spectacular lightning! They also have great support, which you will seldom need, well thought out product! http://mkcontrols.com/lightningbug/userguide/
8. The Champ Swiss Army Knife from Victorinox. I wouldn’t go in the field without one, I actually own a half dozen various models. I’ve made more than a few field repairs with a Swiss Army Knife!! http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox?gclid=CJaMh9OYlLkCFShp7AodpzoAtQ
9. Wireless Release from Yonguno (China). It works great, looks and feels like some made for them major camera companies and cost about one fifth what you would expect. Get used to the world of Chinese goods, they are getting much better! http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-aboutus.php
10. Raynox Macroscopic Lens Model M-150. These 3 element diopter magnifiers, made in Japan, are very high quality ways to shoot greater than life size close-ups. The spring loaded filter adapter (much like your squeeze front lens caps), fits from 52mm to 67mm. http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egdigital.html
11. Visible Dust Sensor Loupe. This is the best way to see just where that dust is so you can clean it off effectively.Viable Dust make a great variety of cleaning supplies, all top notch!! http://www.visibledust.com/
12. Expert Shield. After a few months the plastic protector that came with your camera is mess of scratches and goes in the garbage! Save yourself the trouble and install Expert Shield on all your devices, they just work! The best I’ve seen. www.expertshield.com
13. Camels hair small brush. Simple, cleans all the crevasses well! Pretty simple I got mine at Lowe’s building Supply.
14. LED panel light. These cool, and I mean no heat!, lights are the future, I have two of different sizes and outputs, all the images in this blog entry were made with the smaller one. You can buy them everywhere! I got mine from Midwest Photo. Ask for Mike… http://mpex.com/
15. My two favorite bags for the smaller Fuji system. The Think Tank Retrospective 5 and the Streetwalker backpack (not that kind of streetwalker!!). I’ve been using Think Tank products for a long time now, and they are the best made I’ve found, they are simply well thought out, and work great! www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-5-pinestone.aspx http://www.visibledust.com/
16. Think Tank Battery holders. The perfect way to protect the one component in your camea bag that you can’t do without!. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/dslrbatteryholder2.aspx
In fairness I must tell you that Delkin, Singh Ray, Think Tank, and Really Right Stuff are all sponsor, but the reason is I bought and used their products a long time before I ever I enjoyed a relationship with them, that’s how it works around here. I wouldn’t recommend anything to you I haven’t proven worthwhile myself, first!